About Me

My photo
Read my blog and figure it out....:)

Search This Blog

November 14, 2008

conversational pieces

It never rains, but pours.

Whether that makes sense or not would depend very much on the orientation of our view.
People who take incidences in their stride would view it differently from people who are solution providers.
People who believe in the greater good, always believe that when a problem surfaces, there is a bigger positive picture as opposed to people who cannot see past the situation.
People who are altruistic sees the presenting problem as an opportunity to render help as opposed to people who indulge in the story for conversations sake.

There is no correct or incorrect way to respond in a tight situation.
But how we choose to respond is very telling on where we stand with ourselves.

My friends know that my plate is full, very full, hasn't been this overloaded and it doesn't seem to be clearing because whatevers going on, takes time for it to be cleared.
Short of getting a larger dinner plate, I am managing with whatever space I have been allocated, dumping food over food if necessary, as long as i still have every food item in partial view. To me that's efficient use of space. To another person, friend it may be overloading.

But that's me and a facet of me which is personal.
I do not have a save the world slogan pasted across my forehead, but I believe that if a person can render help, why not? A person would not offer assistance if he's safeguarding himself from the unknown.

In my life, I have seldom turned away anyone who came to me for help, if the little i can contribute would bring some comfort. I do not have a bottomless bank account, neither do I have a fixed salary each month, but I believe that when we want to help, it should never be with any conditions.

Why am I posting this?
Because I am about to take on the responsibility for my gf's 13-year old child.
A child who has lived with me sometimes over the years during school holidays.
A child whom I have given academic assistance and piano lessons from the time she was 5.
A child who knows me as her step-mom when her mother is not around.

I am upset that another gf felt that my plate was too full to make space for this child, without giving me an alternative solution. She is entitled to her opinion, but then what's the point of having an opinion if one doesn't have an alternative solution? I would have appreciated it very much, had she told me that she will understand and support my decision as a close friend.
To make it worse, she thought that i am giving this consideration, because I decided to throw out my own first born. That was uncalled for and really not it.

I have sinced moved on and everyone knows that to be a fact - much as my first born wants to communicate with me after 4 years, I have opted to honour my last words to her : Leave and do not return. I do not say what I do not mean and if I were so desperate to compensate, I would have replied to the text message plea for forgiveness.

Bottom Line:
When a person comes to you with a problem, he's asking for help.
Do not show interest only because it's the polite thing to do or that you need a new piece for conversation in your next social gathering.

No comments: