About Me

My photo
Read my blog and figure it out....:)

Search This Blog

March 24, 2008

updating, upgrading

Why do some people have a constant yearning to learn?

As a Psych major, I would have to say it must be deprivation at some pivotal point in life to have this impact. As a lay person, I'll say it's economic sense - yet, to constantly learn implies to constantly pay as well, since post-grad studies do not come gift-wrapped. And there is this saying that you do need money to make money.

Having said that, why leave wonderful office politics, monthly salary and the opportunity to power dress, to spend time we do not have enough of, cramming research papers into our tired brains and attempting desperately to write an academic essay without making it look like a marketing proposal?

Personally, since I just dug this hole for myself - it's satisfaction.
Interest aside - I need a more fulfilling life than buying shoes, which I have not enough closet space for.
The time I am investing here has somehow calmed me down and stabilised me.
It's not so much about discipline because I am already rather disciplined even in the organisation of my home - it's about reaching out for something more - for me, myself.

Learning wakes up the dormant mind.
It helps us expand the horizons of what we could spend hours mulling in thoughts about.

I get excited just thinking about what to cook - because I enjoy eating as much as cooking.
So, deciding to do this just adds on to this excitement.

We should keep learning - not to update ourselves, but to keep our minds from rusting and falling into the "I ALREADY KNEW THAT" trap.
Things will change, everything changes and with that, comes the need to update, to learn and to adapt.
Perhaps that's my contribution to evolution - but hey - in Darwin's theory, the fittest survived - whatever they didn't need they didn't replicate it....and doing any upgrade learning helps us do that. The worst thing for anyone is to be redundant, because that's not what living is about.

No comments: