About Me

My photo
Read my blog and figure it out....:)

Search This Blog

July 15, 2016

A Bankrupt Life

http://blog.moneysmart.sg/opinion/3-ways-almost-every-singaporean-wastes-precious-time/


Is this the culture here? Probably.
If that is the case, then, all that Productivity campaigning went to waste.

What is being Productive?
Answer: We do what we have to do, in the recommended length of time we have to finish it.
So, if Management gives some last minute work, it's Management which requires Productivity training, not the worker.

I have had my fair share of bosses who throw paperwork at 530pm with a next day 9am deadline.

To change this 'culture' it has to start from the TOP - if the TOP doesn't give credit to seat-warmers, who actually just work when supervised, the problem will go away.

PHONE GAMES & FB
Many are guilty of this when on the train/bus.  They do this and get so engrossed, they forget to move to the rear of the bus, or shuffle deeper into the cabin of the train for others to board.

I have watched commuters flip FB pages, clicking on links, as if it's critical for their well-being.  Perhaps, that's where Singaporeans shoved their nosey attitude i.e. kay-po.
Also, since when was letting the entire world know what one eats, or does daily, important?  Are people so bankrupt that they have to assert some kind of importance in their social circles?  Where are the days, where privacy is held dear?

For culture, we certainly picked wrong.

Teenagers, mostly, are unaware of world news - a lot are not even up to date on local news.
Imagine, this lot is our tomorrow - a group of ignorant individuals.

People say, the internet caused this.
I say, don't play the blame game.

I do not own an FB page, nor do I play candy crush or bejeweled or any game on my latest iphone.
I do not even listen to music.

Does that make me a person who is stuck in the stone age?
Hardly.
I am an MMORPG gamer.  I log into the game daily for at least 2 hours.
I read off my tablet, only when I am winding down to sleep.

I chose to use the internet as a positive tool.  When commuting, I look around as I journey to my destination.  In little Singapore, facade changes happen quickly.  I take pleasure in soaking in works in progress.

I'm not left behind just because I prefer to choose who knows about my latest life squeals.
The difference between me, a technology driven person, and the larger society as cited in the article is, I don't need validation on who I am from acquaintances or friends.  I need to know, for myself, that when I am done living my life, I am free to go because I have done whatever I set out to do, and that isn't getting to another level in candy crush or bejeweled, or updating my FB page as I draw my last breath.





No comments: