About Me

My photo
Read my blog and figure it out....:)

Search This Blog

January 31, 2008

What is there to look forward to?

This is the season for all Chinese to look forward to a new year. The lunar new year brings with it wishes for a prosperous new year for all. It's obvious in the symbolic mandarin oranges, lucky bamboo plants and everything that is served up during the reunion dinner.
For me, a person who doesn't celebrate anything festive except to observe and respect another's beliefs, it's just another long weekend, free off days and extra hours of sleep.
Sure, I am chinese and do have my own superstitions or rather feng shui beliefs, but that has never compelled me to go all out and be festive.
What do we do, when there is a reshuffle at work and rumours of having a lower basic with promises of a higher sales commission, just days before the Rat takes over? How do we look forward to this Lunar New year when everyone around me looks like they've been served a death sentence?
I think that's what the new year is all about.
Out with the old, in with the new.
What we do not know, will always scare us and cause us sleepless nights.
BUT we must always look at the big picture - and make sense of it all.
It may sound terrible, but on the flip side, sales people should have the desire for more commission - after all, that is a variable component which can go up and down - a personal choice.
I may not have a quick fix for them, but I know I am not able to let them face the new year with this load alone.
Let's look around us and see what we can do so that there is something everyone can look forward to - not necessarily the picture they wish to see, but another one, which may actually look better on closer inspection.

No comments: