About Me

My photo
Read my blog and figure it out....:)

Search This Blog

February 21, 2006

securing an income

My best friend lost her job on Monday. Restructuring - they say, and paid her one month's salary. I don't know how to begin helping her. Without a job, her home mortgage is in trouble - Banks aren't exactly sympathetic - plus she has 2 mouths to feed. I didn't have a solution - what can anyone say at a time like this? Although for years, we have talked about starting up something - it never materialised because we were all working and busy doing our own thing. Perhaps now is the right time to actually dive into this idea and kill two birds with one stone - get her started on some income and realise a 'dream'.
Then comes the financing bit. We need to start with a small 'dream' - something her one months' pay and the crumbs I have put aside could finance. I don't think looking for another admin job at her age would be long term and I'm sure she realises that too. Past 40, we might be better off just finding a more secure source of income. It's not that I'm jaded in how I view things, but that people are replaceable because the next person is always willing to do your job at a cheaper rate - which is savings for the company and disaster for you.

No comments: