About Me

My photo
Read my blog and figure it out....:)

Search This Blog

May 10, 2009

Cinnamon Buns


This has become my weekly thing - cinnamon buns. It's easy to make and it gives me an opportunity to play with dough, literally.
When using yeast, patience is of the essence, because the dough will double, and you'll have to punch it out, let it sit, punch it out again, until it's ready for the oven.
I made some glaze for the buns today, which makes it look a little shiny - because i'm very conscious about sugar, I usually cut-back quite a bit, making the buns less sweet but still a good breakfast, tea snack. This recipe is idiot proof and as I have said before, it's just a matter of getting the mind set right, as with all things.
I have never 'played' with yeast before, but over the past weeks, it has given me a whole new insight into the baking world - This was made manually, without a bread machine - a toy I had always wanted to purchase but never got around to doing it, because the machine looks bulky and if traditionally, people used hands to make lovely bread, why not now? It's messy, because you would need to work with the dough but definately easier than baking a cake - thats how I feel. All my attempts at yeast bakes came out great - including the simple dinner roll, at first try.
The key to getting the bun/bread right, is to allow it to sit. Knead it very well and just pop it into the oven. Cakes are dicey - the consistency of the mix must be correct and oven temperature set right - even choice of flour is important.
Few things in life is better than waking up in the morning, popping the dough into the oven and getting the smell of bread, baking in the oven. Top that with a hot cup of coffee . For me, thats a great way to let myself know it's sunday.

No comments: