About Me

My photo
Read my blog and figure it out....:)

Search This Blog

May 31, 2009

Texture

One of the things I remember vividly from my childhood - Almond Cookies

My aunt makes really good ones and so far, I haven't found any recipe that could give me the same texture. Confidently, I'm sure it's not me.

But it wasn't urgent on my list of TO-DO things, and I didn't have the proper cookie cutter either - at least not the size that I need. Who would think that cookie cutters are critical to the baking process? After all, when food has been digested, isn't it all mush anyways?

Locally, we know cookies to be bite-sized and crunchy.
Historically, cookies are larger and less crunchy - we just know them to be crunchy, because we probably had consumed tons of CNY cookies which are crunchy making them the norm for locals? It's unbelievable that there can be an argument about texture of a cookie.

That's being human - we MUST comment about everything and we MUST have an opinion about everything. We just don't get it, do we? Sometimes, things just do not have a norm. A norm becomes a norm, only because more people started to believe that to be the truth, which is different from it being actually the truth.

It's amazing how a cookie can create such a disparity of opinions.

Therefore, when opinions are at different ends of a continuum, it should be something expected rather than surprising.

I'm local, so I'll stick to a cookie being crunchy.
It's what I am used to consuming (beginning from the time I could voluntarily consume food) and I just couldn't accept it being not crunchy. Thankfully, I found the right-sized cutter after hunting for it, each time I'm at the supermarket.

To people like me, who love cny goodies, any cookie that's soft means, it's not been kept in an air-tight container - and NOTHING is going to change, eventhough the cookiepedia says otherwise.

No comments: