About Me

My photo
Read my blog and figure it out....:)

Search This Blog

May 31, 2016

Larger social network = higher pain tolerance?

http://www.nature.com/articles/srep25267


I first read about this on the bbc website and found my way back to the study the report was based on.

In my opinion, there will always be the herd - where most studies tend to be based on, even with a random sample.
It doesn't mean it applies to the rest, who do not make up that random sample.  Samples are as random as where the study originates from and even as our brain cells skew to a certain angle, we do not have to necessarily react that way, when and if given the freedom to decide, by way of culture, society and the blah blah blah.

I do not maintain a huge social network by choice.  I find people to be insincere and never helpful when they are called upon to be a friend.  Try recalling when you needed a small sum of money, say a months pay-check, and how successful that large network helped i.e. by giving the much required help financially.

I have never kept many friends.  Acquaintances, yes, only because of work.  But acquaintances are not people you celebrate your overcoming life's struggles.  Friends are friends, when they need something from you - no different from a business association.

I never insisted on an epidural during childbirth nor any form of painkiller - never wanted to feel numb because feeling it all makes us real people.  Yet, at any one point in time, the fingers on my one hand, can barely put a name on each finger.

I suffer from migraine and mostly, I sleep it off after drowning myself in hot tea.  When it's really bad, I take one aspirin and sleep.  Currently, an old injury on my feet started to bother me.  I still go to work and hardly walk with a wobble because I do not like to draw attention to my personal space. People tell me to see a podiatrist, doctor or whoever.  I still hobble about at home and walk just fine in public.

Perhaps I'm the oddball to this study.

Actually I doubt it.  There are many like me in the world. We do not have the need to have many friends, because our life is self-enriching.

I'm on summer break now and there are acquaintances who would like to catch up for lunch yet, I rather stay home and clear up my wardrobe, pack boxes to ship out to orphanages and eat a hot home cooked meal watching the telly.

Bottom line is, just because a study says it is, doesn't mean it really is.
Most random samples are either undergrads/interns and people in a similar cultural background.
Some may say, ah, we are asian so we have a strong family bond/ties, which may account for our 'lack of' desire to have many friends.  WRONG.

I am almost an orphan by choice.
If anything, the lack of having even ONE TRUE FRIEND makes me a better thinking person.  One who is self sustaining and one who is not dependent on any social network application to say, hey, I'm worth something.












No comments: