About Me

My photo
Read my blog and figure it out....:)

Search This Blog

October 19, 2006

About Death

The passing of someone brings unpleasant situations most times. For the bereaved family, it's a loss of someone they love. For the unwilling caregiver, it's a relief. For the man who has been left to rot whilst within the family, it couldn't have come sooner.
I cannot understand why a man, whilst living with his grown up children, grandchildren and aged wife died more alone than a lone ranger in a nursing home. By the time the call was made to the M.D. for certification, the body was cold and stiff.
I have no sympathy for the family.
I feel relieved that his soul is now free.
I stayed away, simply because I believe that when we undertake the responsibility to look after the man, then we should do it as best we could.
Doing our best means, at least looking in on him, talking to him, feeding him and be aware of his medical condition. Forget that he was not a good father because we made him sell his home, to move in with us. We took some cash from the proceeds. We have more than just a duty.
This man, did not die alone, but died lonely.
I cannot bring myself to go to the wake because I cannot guarantee that I can put that aside and focus on just paying my respect.
Call it whatever, but the less I see, the better it is for me.
I am glad, that he left us in his sleep. I couldn't have wished for more, because he raised all of them on his small salary by being prudent. I don't think anyone of them could have done a better job than him.
Death is not always a bad thing, we have to go, sooner or later, but for me, he went in style.

No comments: