About Me

My photo
Read my blog and figure it out....:)

Search This Blog

March 18, 2016

Quality of Life - another Mojo

My gf decided that we take our annual pilgrimage to Jonker Street, Melaka in April.

Also, people do ask why I refer to her as my gf/best friend - well, we are the best of friends, shared a 30+ years friendship.  She is indeed different from just a friend/colleague/peer/acquaintance/buddy.  We each lead very different lives but do our lunch meets every other month and outstation breaks together.
I like to be 'politically' correct in that we share a long friendship.  Saying 'childhood' friend is gravely lacking in substance.

I have other good friends - people I work with, people I have known in the course of work yet keep in touch with them by and by, guy friends who are good coffee pals and errand runners!
So I feel a need to categorise everyone for hierarchy's sake.

As usual, her task is always making reservations for lunch and dinner and mine is booking of our accommodation and passageway.  It's best I leave all the nitty gritty to her, because I don't live to eat, in this case, I don't vacation to eat, but she does.

So my job ends the minute we check into the hotel and the baton will be passed on to her.

She has already decided our first night dinner venue...now she's working on the 2nd night dinner venue.  Breaky is at the hotel - according to her, she loved the spread last time around.  I'm relieved, because it's the first I've heard about it! I remember having to convince her why I always stayed at Holiday Inn whichever city I am in. (if they are not located where I want to be, then it's Hyatt).  She used to just book an entire package, when me, on the other hand, prefer ala carte.

It's not always cheaper by package.  This upcoming vacation is proof enough.  Never mind we don't get the hotel of our choice (drop off/pick up point), every extension night is a lot to top up.  So I did ala carte again for Malacca.

Once we get the coach tickets confirmed, I will secure the hotel booking and save more! Right now, we are on Best Flexible rate.

This is our MOJO.  The annual trip to Melaka - Jonker street walks for hours - we are not shopping center people....but more street fair type.  The smell of cooked food, hustle and bustle of people and music....makes us feel alive.  Then after all that, go back to the hotel and enjoy the view of the open sea.

This time, I hope to have time for a dip in the pool - although I doubt that will happen.  We are mostly out.

Yes, it's great to have a mid-life crisis of wanting to savor quality of life our way.  Life doesn't have a standard for Quality of Life.  We set the mark.  And if we can dabble in it whenever, there is no cause for complaints.  It's not the huge ideas that decides if we have Quality of Life - it's whether we are content, happy and satisfied about where we are.

This is not a compromise.  It's doing what you want to do, when you want to do it.


No comments: