About Me

My photo
Read my blog and figure it out....:)

Search This Blog

March 17, 2016

To finally enjoy the fruits of labour

Interesting thing about passing mid-life is the ability to really get into hobbies.

I was talking to a good friend today and mid-life doesn't deter him from getting engrossed in mountain biking.  One such bike costs him 7-8k SGD and another 11k.  Every time we catch up he shows me a 'fresh' bruise.  It's unbelievable.  It may take him a bit longer to get over the aches from a bike fall but he's still at it.

Another good friend, runs the marathon.  He goes to Hong Kong, Japan and most years, qualifies to run in France.  He's not a decorated marathon runner, so doesn't have sponsors, yet all his annual leave goes to these overseas expeditions.  Rain or shine, he runs every evening.

My best friend, dabbles in yoga and gardening.  I do admire that, since I'm terrible at contorting my body and gardening for me is re-potting and the daily watering and occasional pruning.  She attends yoga lessons weekly and only misses when she's on vacation.

A colleague, as I've mentioned before, goes open sea fishing once a year.  He comes back re-charged and even sounds convincing that he's ready to face the year and all it's tribulations.

We are all in our mid-life.
Perhaps having done the raising of children and career mumbo-jumbo, we all just look forward to working for sustenance and using the balance time for pleasure.

I guess we all got it correct.  We do not all have spouses, although some of us have grown children.  Perhaps this is how life should be.  Be in our professional prime, raise the children, then go laid-back and enjoy the spoils.

When I mentioned to each of them how I don't really have such a passion for leisure activity, I was quickly corrected.
Of course you do - you game!

Guilty.

No comments: