About Me

My photo
Read my blog and figure it out....:)

Search This Blog

March 29, 2006

Cats


After many years of 'collecting' cats, live ones, the authorities caught up with her and like many others, had to place the cats in licensed pet hotels. To-date, she has 97 there, and paying monthly too. Yesterday, she called to let me know about some kittens she found. As her home is constantly being spot-checked for cats, she couldn't keep them there for much longer.
Looking back, to the times when I was doing 'rescue' work, it's thankless, time consuming and costly. The numbers never get smaller because we find cats with crushed limbs, sickly ones and those just too young to fend for themselves. Over the years, the ones I've rescued eventually passed on and I'm left with the one cat that started me on this learning journey into their psyche.
I wish I could adopt another from her, but I am working too much and time is not on my hands. Yet, I find that I'm just giving myself and her, another excuse. I gave up on fighting for this cause, because our society is just not matured enough to understand that like us, they are also fighting for survival - keeping them in pet farms is not the solution. It's been more than 10 years, since the sterilisation programme was widely publicised - have we really done better? I don't think so, because just a few days ago,in the Forum page, someone wrote in about kittens being run over by cars, probably because someone left them near the road. The writer found one with crushed limbs. Is this society progressing? No, it's selfishness, and it began because some felt that animals are not people, so they don't deserve to share this land. I guess, if some higher order species emerged, we should just volunteer to be put down or worse still, left to live the rest of our life in cages, with dreams of running free.

No comments: