About Me

My photo
Read my blog and figure it out....:)

Search This Blog

April 22, 2009

of depression and band-aids

When a person is clinically depressed - it's best to find ways to cope - not always a clear-cut task but it's the best method. Depression can last a long time and some people never really recover from it - they just manage to keep it at bay. Having some form of training in this field does help, but it doesn't make the task any easier - it's less hazy a road, but not any easier.

I have tried many things to keep myself occupied - work, school, housework, additional home improvement works and online gaming - but it doesn't help me get a good night's rest, neither does it stop me from feeling 'harassed'. People who are depressed, do not need much really, except a permanent solution. There are some who would recommend increasing the social network or having some kind of social support - but it doesn't work across the board - and I feel that it's a cliche to say that. A person like me, who's always on the go and packed with schedules, do not prefer to widen my social network, do not prefer anyone to talk to either - a person like me, prefers to be alone - I may not be textbook, but why grapple with other people and add on more 'trauma' to an already traumatised state?

Under normal circumstances, I do not prefer crowds - and under depressive circumstances, it hasn't changed for me. Some people can get around this syndrome by being with people - I say, that's a temporary measure and not realistic - we need to prefer our own company and deal with ourselves before we are able to cope with another person or persons. There is always a danger that when a depressed person is alone, bad things can happen - well, again, that's not across the board. This is the reason why I never chose counseling as part of my programme - I do not believe in cliches and textbook stuff. I believe that for every textbook case, there is an offshoot which will not be anywhere like the 90% and for anything to be resolved, it has to come from within, which is a problem in itself, since within is very much damaged.

There is always more below the surface and superficial solutions are just band-aids. Band-aids are helpful if we have sufficient clotting agents in the blood - otherwise, it's useless - likewise for this situation - band-aids won't help, because the clotting agent is absent.

No comments: