About Me

My photo
Read my blog and figure it out....:)

Search This Blog

December 04, 2009

it's not the destination

It's tempting to just take off and disappear for awhile, especially when it's been a rough year, not just for me, but generally - so i gathered. Everyone is so looking forward to the new year, with hope for better things.
I must say that it's not really better things that would motivate me, but probably a more defined idea of where my life is heading. There are things that I would like to do, I have fuzzy plans but executing it is tough, since the vision is still very fuzzy. Thinking about it now is impossible as i'm still flipping between work and my paper, which is in dire straits.

To be realistic, I don't need to travel this festive period, because the flights are full and one can only imagine how 'noisy' it will be on flight and how crowded every destination will be. Yet, I actually booked a seat on a flight to Mumbai - and it will be the longest I have ever stayed away for vacation, not work. Whether I will eventually go or not, would depend very much on my mood over the weekend, since i'm still struggling with my paper and I thought to get away to celebrate - but if my weekend doesn't turn out right, because my paper is mediocre, then I'll probably decide to sulk here in Singapore.

The upside of this trip is, I'll be travelling with my gf and her 2 kids - most of my other friends would say I'm crazy to even think I'll have a proper vacation since I am allergic to children this young - but my gf needs help to mind them on flight and I'm actually not busy during her planned vacation, so although I didn't promise, she is hoping I would join her.

Of course I would rather just focus on my sydney conference - it's my choice destination besides Bangkok but I do need a vacation - haven't gone on one in 8 months - so it's time to take off.

But typically me, I will mull over this, and mull over this until it's time to issue the tickets - my other gf was so excited about it that she started telling me about some scarf which was only available in Mumbai she hopes i can find - I don't have the name yet, but she's getting it for me - she's always been to London, Shanghai for work, yet it never took her to India, so she wasn't just excited, she was really talking about what her other friends got from there - ethnic stuff.....cotton....jewellery..... so, although I told her I was thinking about it, she was urging me to GO -

People are always eager to visit places they have never been to, but for me, it's never about that, it's just getting away and being completely absorbed in doing absolutely nothing.

No comments: