About Me

My photo
Read my blog and figure it out....:)

Search This Blog

December 21, 2009

I know what I'm talking about

For this entire year, E was nagging because she felt that I was too lenient with my son, allowing him to game almost all day (from what she understood). She was too insistent saying that I'm spoiling my son and that she has seen her brother ruin her mothers life, thus justifying her concern.
Sure, I was concerned that my son may not be putting in the correct effort - for me, it isn't the quantity that mattered, but the quality - if he could make that hour work for him, it's good enough.

I didn't say much or do much, except to have conversations with my son about it regularly - and of course, I expressed my concern about how annoying it's become for me - simply because I allow him latitude as I do not think he's a person who is clueless about being responsible.

He received his results last friday and he did very well, for someone who games 6 hours a day after school. And if we went by grades, he returned 2As, 2Bs and a C for his best 5. Had this been the O-levels, my son would be on his way to college - but because it's not, this will perhaps confirm that I do know how to study and that I am right - I was chewing him up on how he was doing his Humanities and he sulked when i made him learn it, the way I want him to learn it. He got an A.

I haven't told my pessimistic gf about this because I'm waiting for her to call me, to ask.
If she was so sure, why did she not call, just to prove a point?
Fact that she is the only gf who hasn't called to ask, proves that she knows she's wrong.

I had squabbles with my son - because he was doing it all wrong....and much as I enjoy making him sweat for his prelims (which he did badly), it was for a purpose - I needed to prove my point. But I will never give him up for a national exam - because lessons are to be learnt without a high cost factor, if the cost factor is too high, then it's no longer a lesson, but a punishment.
He didn't do anything wrong, he's just lazy and my job, as his mother, is to be always correct when it came to his studies.
I think I did it right this time.

No comments: