About Me

My photo
Read my blog and figure it out....:)

Search This Blog

December 06, 2009

Sharks' Fin Soup without the fin

Today, I decided to try my hand at Shark's Fin Soup without the fin, to my son's dismay.

When I explained that we should not be eating Shark's Fin because they are slowly becoming endangered, he retorted that sharks are still killing and hurting humans so, why not?

I explained to him that although I wouldn't take it well that the shark could ingest me, it is still cruel to chop off the shark's fin and then toss him back into the sea to drown. And that for a 'fish' to drown is really ridiculous - we don't like to drown and I'm sure sharks feel the same.

So, i have substituted shark's fin with tang hoon or glass vermicelli, used crab meat and fresh shitake mushrooms. I didn't bother to 'julian' carrots, and i didn't add any chicken or pork mince as some recipe did. I cooked that all in chicken broth and it turned out very well. What made it really great were the fresh Shitake. It really made all the difference (at least for my palette). What I didnt' like either were the chinese dried mushrooms - i'm just not into preserves - preferring to use fresh ingredients all the time. Which is why the supermarket is almost my second home.


No comments: