About Me

My photo
Read my blog and figure it out....:)

Search This Blog

February 19, 2014

Teach - what it actually means

It is sad, that for many years now, the teaching profession in my locality has gone downhill.
I witnessed a teacher say about 40-years of age, using her index finger, 'screaming' at an eight year old boy, because he thought (aloud) that another boy took his lunch money.
For a split second, I thought I was in a Mental Institution doing my internship.

Teaching - is a lot about role modeling.
It cultivates socially constructed behavior and it sets a standard for the little ones to follow.
It gives the child room to say "I DON"T KNOW" so that the knowledge can be shared.

Another teacher, when told that a donation card was handed in earlier than the collection date, yelled at another teacher.  She said loudly "If you can't tell them I can go into your class to tell them, do you want me to do that?"

One day, I should record it and post it on YouTube.

What happened to the careful selection of candidates for the teaching position?  I guess, as long as the candidate meets the base criteria - which is usually just a Diploma or Degree.  For the most, I have yet to witness Degree holders, behaving badly, perhaps because we do not need to prove anything to anyone.  Most of us who return to teaching, do so, out of the interest to teach.

Parents should be aware that these days, its not always the child that is lazy.  If the teacher fails at motivating the student, even I will get bored.

Yelling, screaming does not earn anyone respect.
AND I still firmly hold the belief that RESPECT IS EARNED.

A teacher should set good examples - in thought, word, deed.
A teacher should be able to laugh with students and listen to their concerns, just as teachers expect students to listen to them.
Teaching is not about that Diploma one obtains from the teaching institute/academy.

Unfortunately, most are there for the pay-check more than to actually teach.

No comments: