About Me

My photo
Read my blog and figure it out....:)

Search This Blog

February 15, 2014

To be Misled

Feb 14th - every year it slips by - just because I can let it slip by.  Yet, this year, I was surprised when a colleague came to my desk, hugged me and handed me a little box - full of cute, colourful stickers and wished me Happy Valentines' Day.
That was totally unexpected.
It mattered to her I guess, to include me, since I'm new in the common room. That meant a lot to me - because I am picking up the slack for them and for me, it's appreciation for the work I have done and more that I will be doing.

The day before, I received a probable auto invite from LinkedIn - a social networking site; I'm guessing similar to how FB works - auto goes through the contact list and does random invites. The auto invite was from the person who didn't know how to be grateful to a group of people who have bailed him out literally from an inevitable spiral to doom.  So I checked the site and apparently its a professional social site.  I laughed.

He, a professional?  What a joke.
A professional is one who knows ethical and moral boundaries; carries out the job task by task acknowledging the team and has high situational awareness.

This chap, doesn't meet the base requirements at all, yet apparently joined this site.  Of course he posted a picture of the flight deck, since that IS his only redeeming quality.

I trashed the invite, of course, since I have never had the need to be on any social networking sites, preferring to always remain private, when I am off work.  I do not even own a FB account nor do I Skype outside work.

Which brings me to the next point.
Such people have to resort to such sites, because its the only way they can expand their social network without really doing all the leg work.  People are more blazen over the internet and many negative traits are easily lost over the internet.  People need to read 'sweet nothings' to feel good - a false reality.

The traditional way of gathering personality data is still the best.
Little gestures, supportive body language and behaviour which corresponds to the circumstances are seldom wrong.

V-Day is just another calendar day.
Nothing matters, until it matters.
and THAT can happen on any calendar day.

So yes, some trawl the internet to find new friends.  Some find their soul-mates there.  BUT start off knowing that if there is ONE person I know, who is so self-centered, a user of people and one who expects help yet turns around to say he didn't ask for it - be careful.
Ask if that person ever had a long term relationship, why he never got promoted in his job since most designations are rather clear.  A decent man doesn't need to hold a pilots' licence or be in top management.  He is the man on the street, earning an honest living, he knows how to appreciate the fundamentals in a friendship and what being responsible entails.
Don't be misled, that a 'professional' is single on a social site.
He is single, because there is a huge problem with his personality.




No comments: