About Me

My photo
Read my blog and figure it out....:)

Search This Blog

July 14, 2006

What we DON'T have



The glass is either half empty or half full, depending on our orientation of view. I have chosen to look at it as half empty not because I harbour negative thoughts but more so a realist. Reality is never silver lined nor rose-tinted, it's mere cold, hard facts.
Having come back from Sabah, I'm now dead sure, what is missing in our society here. It's not just the crystal clear waters, where even my Motorola V3 could capture an image of the shoal of fish that has compelled me to write this piece. It's how much of mother nature I'm deprived of on this little island. I had to slap myself just to be sure I wasn't watching an episode on National Geographic with a high definition TV. Then, there was this little monitor lizard, not lounging by the pool, but actually, used the pool as a short-cut to the beach. Had this incident happened in Singapore, I would have heard screams, and perhaps the animal control people would have been called in. BUT here, this reptile just walked into the pool half filled with people, swam across to the other side, climbed over, and walked to the beachfront, with no fanfare. Guests by the poolside just grabbed their video cams for this picture souvenir.
THAT is what we will never have here....nothing to rose-tint about. Sure, there are many here who appreciate that we do share this planet with creatures, but they are far and few. Thank GOD for the people I know who understand this concept, for at least, whenever I meet with them, it's a comfort because it makes me feel less sad that we have forgottten, they were here first.

1 comment:

UptownGal said...

Haha... i really can't imagine a monitor lizard swimming across the pool to get to the beach. I would have been equally amazed, dumbfounded & freaked out. Hahaha. I hate lizards. :P