About Me

My photo
Read my blog and figure it out....:)

Search This Blog

January 03, 2009

Is Ignorance really Bliss?

I have just started on Part 2 of my work - defects. I must say, the level of ignorance, our young singaporeans are harbouring is disgusting. One young and an apparent professional called me after hours on a saturday, because he heard the sound of dripping water - he wanted to register that as a defective pipe. I asked him where the water is leaking from and he told me he didn't know. I asked him where the water is collecting and he still couldn't tell me but repeated that it's water dripping. I explained to him that unless he could tell me where it's collecting, it may not be a leak, but water in the sewerage pipes which are made from PVC. Then came the winning question. WOULD I BE CHARGED FOR THAT?

I think it's okay to be great in academic work and get ourselves all proud on convocation day, but we need to also ensure that we are equipped with some common sense. Sewerage pipes are obviously for the discharge of waste, water and otherwise - and does he not have that in his dictionary? It's a shame that our society is breeding such people who will eventually form a huge part of our working population, and who will be breeding more such people for isn't is so that kids do learn by example, common sense?

This chap just crossed his 30th birthday and I'm just surprised that he's so inadequate. When parents fix things up for you, you don't take it for granted, you should have an interest so that you are aware of how things are. Has he lived his 30-odd years just oblivious to how everything works?

Ignorance is not a sign of intelligence but a sign of a person who has a poor attitude towards life thinking that there will always be someone who is on call 24-hours a day to change his soiled diaper for him. Ignorance is not a remarkable trait to have or a convenient excuse to use. It's something we all should work to minimise, because it's telling on just how interested we are in actually developing our minds. Perhaps some people are not interested in developing their minds, perhaps if that is the case, these people should not be allowed to procreate.

No comments: