About Me

My photo
Read my blog and figure it out....:)

Search This Blog

January 07, 2009

To know or not to know

When dealing with confidentiality of clients, there is no question if they are adults. The confusion begins when it concerns a minor. Should 'authorities' withhold vital information or should they exercise discretion and inform concerned parties? It's an ethical issue for sure, probably with differing opinions, depending upon which part of the world the case originates from.

But I always strongly feel that we need weigh the matter closely and if it will benefit the child then it should be disclosed on a confidential level. I feel very strongly about this when it concerns the mental well-being of a kid - because events and experiences will shape their future behavior and without a full understanding, full 'assistance' cannot be rendered and it may add to the confusion and imbalance.

I would rather know than not know. Although, if I didn't know at the outset, I'm experienced enough to pick it up.

No comments: