About Me

My photo
Read my blog and figure it out....:)

Search This Blog

January 16, 2009

Take Out Dinners

I have had such a tight week that I didn't have time to really think about anything much except for whether my cell would just 'die' on me before 3pm. This tight schedule didn't allow me much space to do anything except to come home, eat, finish paperwork, drown myself in a pot of coffee and sleep. If not for the fact that my gf was cooking this whole week, it would have been take-out dinners. The great thing about her is, she knows when I'm swamped and without having to ask, she shows up in the afternoon and fixes dinner for the teens. Some people would say it's expected, since her daughter is living with me, but I say that she knows I would buy dinner if I don't have time to cook and the gesture is good enough for me.

It's no big deal, most families have take-outs for dinner, but in my home that's always a last resort. Out of 7 days, I serve home cooked meals on at least 5 days. Some of my colleagues are amazed that it even happens since I certainly do not come from the housewifey mould - well, cooking is a matter of preference, and I prefer that my son eats the food I cook, since it would have been done with care and love. It's only food, people would say, but it's different. My son would eat take-out 2 days straight, on the 3rd day, he'll waste half of it - but even if I made the same food everyday, for 5 days, he would finish everything.

It doesn't matter if the family doesn't dine together every day, but it's important that when the kids come home, they have food on the stove. Chinese New Year eve is when the family dines together. And next weekend, we'll do just that not in some restaurant, like what I do during christmas season, but at home with food prepared by request. I do not even bother with ordering a turkey for christmas, preferring to roast the kid's bird of choice. Perhaps my son is spoilt, but I think it's because it's the least I could do for him and now, for my god-daughter as well. There will be no take-out of anything - everything will be made from my kitchen.

No comments: