About Me

My photo
Read my blog and figure it out....:)

Search This Blog

May 03, 2006

What it means to be The Opposition

As with most Singaporeans, I am all excited about having been given the opportunity to vote. What surprised me was the fact that the Opposition managed to find good people to stand at this Election. For many years, there was this looming 'fear' that if people begged to have an opinion and made a political statement with it, they would be 'blacklisted' somewhat. In fact, I grew up with that idea in my head.
The Rally has shifted it's focus from ALTERNATIVE IDEAS, to who is credible and who is not? Frankly, WHO IS TO JUDGE?
An Apology is an Apology.
Just because someone misplaces something, doesn't make him a crook, a manipulator, or a wayang artist. He's from the Opposition Pary, but does that mean that he's not like any one of us? He forgot! End of story!
I remember the NKF and the Peanut incident - how quickly everyone wanted to forget that.
I am not interested in politics because I don't have a squeaky clean slate to boast of OR a string of qualifications, but I am definately for Fair Game. At the rate things are going for Mr James Gomez, I feel like I've been given a choice. I believe that if I misplaced something, I honestly misplaced it - BUT if someone were to comment about my forgetfulness, I may just, on the by and by say something to dismiss it -
Because I'm an ordinary person, no one would bother what I said to that - but Mr Gomez is from the Opposition party, therefore it was concluded, he had an agenda.
As the Opposition - You cannot speak like everyone else, you cannot even crack a joke. Basically, the ruling still wants to control what you can say and what you cannot - and if you don't have a fat bank account, or aren't prepared to be penniless, then better be the kind that sees nothing, hears nothing and does nothing.
I am making a choice in a few days, and believe me, it will not be one that has been directed because for what I'm worth, my personal choice is still very much mine.

No comments: