About Me

My photo
Read my blog and figure it out....:)

Search This Blog

August 30, 2007

Fair Wear & Tear

I am of the opinion that most people do not fully understand what "fair wear and tear" means. It's a common clause found in any Tenancy Agreement.
When we lease out a place with furnishings, I hope that most understand and expect for some items to cease working and some others to deteriorate over time. This is what the clause is about.
I have recently encountered an owner, who wondered what happened to his curtain rail, after 2 years. Upon checking with the tenant, I was told that the wooden rail was already cracked and tape was used to reinforce it. After 7 months, it just gave way ; he obviously disposed of it. When I asked the owner if there really was a tape holding up the rod, there was silence.
That irritated me because it's sneaky and so cheap! The owner also wondered why his fabric foam sofa had a huge tear on it's seat. By the way, the fabric was not the usual couch fabric, but something a lot thinner - and it's the sofa without frames, just foam - Bean bags come in better fabric. He also enquired about a missing bamboo pole, those used for drying out clothes. He also mentioned that the mattress was smelly. I cannot imagine having a communal bed. Tenant or not, where is the hygiene about the mattress?
I was amazed how some people probably rent out their place only to try to make money from damages they assume was deliberate (from the tenant).
If anyone wishes to rent out their homes, then either supply good quality stuff, which lasts OR supply the bare minimum and do a use and throw.
I was actually quite disgusted.
Once we decide to rent out our premises, we have to understand that there will be some depreciation of the furnishings and unit - because as with everything else, it's what happens over time. To these people I should say, don't be so cheap - if there is an expectation to have things exactly the way it was, then just go lock up the unit and let it collect dust. Forget about the extra cash. Nothing is for free.

No comments: