About Me

My photo
Read my blog and figure it out....:)

Search This Blog

August 02, 2007

HOme?

I heard on the radio today that public transportation companies are seeking to raise fares by 1-3 cents per trip. I also understand that these same companies have made millions too. As usual, rising fuel costs etc were cited as reasons.
This brings to mind many many things for me. We have had nothing except to deal with increases, the largest probably being the GST. The $200 that was given out as a GST offset package, was not even enough for one months' marketing expenses. I guess the $200 was a pacifier - most were happy for that moment, until all the bad news sets in.
The ERP charges are also increasing at a few gantries, petrol prices have gone up - our utilities bill have also gone up. It may not matter when you're drawing an income of $50,000 a month, but it does matter when the average household doesn't earn that much even in a year!
I'm not disappointed nor surprised by the slew of increases because people here simply just live with it and again, for those with some means, they will just pack their bags and go live elsewhere.
Although I'm not affected by the coming increase in public transportation, it's an increase nevertheless and how does one justify increasing costs when the books are in the black, and not by a modest sum either?
It's like saying, hey we made a few million last year, but our costs have gone up, which means, we will make half of that 'few million' - but we want to make the same so, sorry folks, we have to charge you one cent more per trip!
You know, a home is where we feel that we have some priority in being there - eligibility for HDB does not count as that's housing for 80% of us.
Stop it with the this is my home thing already - my home is where I am able to feel that I'm not taken advantage of!

No comments: