About Me

My photo
Read my blog and figure it out....:)

Search This Blog

October 04, 2007

REs

In uni, we talk about REs. Yup, that's when we fail a paper and have to sit for it again. The word re-take sounds so bad, that we just say RE. Although I have never had to RE a paper, I'm sure it's stressful and quite depressing.
After plodding through books and papers, writing/typing assignments, presentations, research, we graduate. At the convocation, we receive our testamur. Some of us would take the trouble to frame the darn thing up, some would send it to be engraved on a metal frame for the wall. Some others would just keep it on file.
After celebration, some of us work, some will continue their postgrad immediately. Our testamurs will re-appear at job applications and of course, when we apply for post-grad studies.
I have been going here and there, the past 5 years, finding THE course I should pursue post-grad. I enrolled to do a Masters programme, which I never really started on because I found out that the support is not sufficient. Working and studying is no joke.
This year, I'm finally ready to commit a 2-year relationship with my books. Got a place to do my Honours year (which I KIVed before), then work got crazy, had to postpone it. Now, 6 months later, the university sent me another letter of offer, for a 3-year undergraduate programme. I was like "huh?"
The admissions office here wasn't helpful at all - they didn't know what was happening, although they had my admissions docket. The clerk claimed that they only had ONE year of readings from me, but she also confirmed that she had a copy of my testamur.
What I cannot understand is: If I didn't complete 3-years, then how in GODs name did I receive a Bachelor's? She couldn't answer me.
So I dug out all their letters of offers, (postponed twice, so I have 3 letters), and I still had the ones offering me a place to do my Honours year i.e. Year 4.
Wow, that was like telling me "Hey you need to RE, Years 2 & 3" not because you've failed them, but because we lost your transcripts.
Now that got me thinking - if they cannot even comprehend result slips, then what makes me so sure they are the correct agency I should trust my money with, to complete my Year 4?
Imagine that, she wanted me to do a big RE - I guess she doesn't have a clue, that no person in their right frame of mind, would RE something they have cleared. Perhaps, she's been dealing with Psych students so much that, she has become as certifiable as us.

No comments: