About Me

My photo
Read my blog and figure it out....:)

Search This Blog

July 27, 2008

compassion

The most difficult part about changing dynamics is not the change itself, but it's the practicality.
For families who have decided to split into 2 halves, it's always housing that's the killer - simply because in land scarce homeland, rents are high (until 2009 at least); public housing is asking too much in terms of COV; and private property is not practical in terms of expenditure when there is a teenager in the equation.

When a relationship ends on a mutual note, do we throw out compassion?
It would depend very much upon what that relationship was built over. Marriages built on strong friendship, seldom crumble into bits - there is anger, but not hatred. People grow apart and some friends are better left as friends. I married a good friend - big mistake, but I do not have the capacity to watch a friend sleep on the sidewalk because I need my space. It's got nothing to do with emotions, but friendship. I couldn't let a good friend walk into a trap and if I have provided shelter to a perfect stranger before, albeit old and destitute, a friend could stay as long as the objectives are clear.

Yes, I have no empathy, but I am compassionate, even to a hungry kitten in the drain. My life has never been about Me, but always about doing what's right. And so, I have allowed my soon to be ex, to be a housemate, until he finds his feet. What will that cost me right? Actually nothing much, except tons of questions from my good natured other pals. I have my own room back now, and we are seldom at home at the same time - which means, there will not be any strangeness in the air.

So friends we are. It's like regression, but then we do need to go backwards, before we can figure out how to move forward. I am a failure at permanent relationships, two marriages can back this claim. I am sure I am not a hopeless pal, but somehow, I'm not the easiest person to live with or understand and if I'm just done with my first marriage, then I will say, HEY IT"S HIS FAULT. After 2, it's not them, but me.

After all the misery, which is probably self-inflicted, it's my karma to stop destroying people around me and make peace with this damage I am set on causing.
So, housemate it is, for now - right or wrong - I'm not going to judge or decide - for me, I have to be compassionate because it's what's required of me - either that or I'll probably roast in hell for never understanding what meditating every day is all about.

No comments: