About Me

My photo
Read my blog and figure it out....:)

Search This Blog

October 29, 2008

nonmaleficence

I came across this huge word in one journal article. It explains this in the context I read, as 'not inflicting intentional harm to others'. So, what is intentional and what is not? I'm sure we can only know in retrospect after having gone over everything - otherwise, how would we know? Something negative must have happened, otherwise, there will be no need to figure out if it was intentional or not.

I checked dictionary.com and it says ; it's used in the public heath sector (correct); it does not imply an act toward the good (agree); used to discuss end of life issues (well...not quite); translated from the Latin word, it means, first, do no harm.

And so I do get it, as a graduate student.

Perhaps that's why I majored in this area - perhaps thats' why my lecturer from my undergrad years told us that professionals in this field, view the world through 'rose-tinted' lenses.
We are constantly trained to remember that it is our ethical and professional duty to 'do no harm' to others. Never have the codes provided for our well-being.
Perhaps that's why this major suits me.

It's never about me - eventhough I do need to make it about me, I cannot, because it has been hammered into my head that I do not matter as much as another person, because I have been trained to handle it and if I feel like I'm about to fail, then I should open the discussion with a more senior person but still handle it.

*sigh
Is this really the story of my life?
That to me, I will never be a priority because that space has been taken by training?

I see that happening in my work, which isn't even about managing someone's life threatening situation - but about regular work, totally unrelated to my training.
do no harm - actually it's quite easy, personal happiness never comes first, personal problems are always too minute, and basically, one only exists probably by accident!

If that's too far fetched, figure this:
I'm clinical - assessment says so - and I'm functioning and not maladaptive.
What does that say?
Actually, a whole lot.

No comments: