About Me

My photo
Read my blog and figure it out....:)

Search This Blog

August 11, 2006

41st National Day



I opted to go for a dinner cruise this year - do something different - Although I am not a fan of the sea, I took a chance. The first thing that caught my eye, moving away from the jetty, were the helicopters, 3, suspending our Flag - they were hovering around the Southern Anchorage - I didn't think it was an easy task, as the winds were flapping the Flags pretty wildly. Then, when I looked over the other side, I saw the sky, a hue of red and orange - the setting sun - it was beautiful - I haven't seen a sunset like that in a long long time. When I turned another side, there was this hint of light in the sky, amongst dark clouds. I couldn't make it out...it was like a firelight, just barely visible but becoming so, as minutes ticked by.
IT was then that our state flag made it's way straight towards the National Stadium, followed by flecks of black, moving fast from the east, heading for the same target...it was the jets. And as the fly-past was completing, the winds carried the voices of thousands from the stadium, screaming....I could hear them from way out at sea....and then when I looked up again, I realised the flicker of light was the full moon....
The fireworks display was short, but it was real - I was there, actually watching.
That said, next year, I'll opt to soak in the celebration from a hotel window - drifting in the sea is just not my cuppa.

No comments: