About Me

My photo
Read my blog and figure it out....:)

Search This Blog

July 20, 2009

of Eggs and Baskets

We all prefer to know dates ahead of time - usually to plan better, it's something I apply in the different areas of my life - schedules. I do not like surprises, doesn't matter if it comes in a box or in the form of an appointment/meeting - which may make me 'predictable' somehow. So whilst I was winding down my old life, I appreciated to know a date, way before most people get to know - in fact, in the course of discussions, leading up to the final papers, emails and phone calls went back and forth, just so I'm kept in the loop all the time on the progress - that is me, not micromanaging so much as wanting to be explicit, leaving no error margin.

For me, it's a date I can look forward to definately - no more hoovering and wondering if something else was not looked over, no more thinking about whether the paperwork has to be re-done because of a typo or a disagreement. So, August 4th, is my independence day.

I'm not relieved as much as glad i got a date because my life has always been independent and not dependent on anyone - I prefer not to leave things to chance and just make sure the eggs are in my basket - people say, don't put all your eggs in one basket, but they didn't specify whose basket, which to me, isn't clear enough.

It's okay if you hang on to your eggs using your own baskets because you know that if you drop the baskets, you will loose your eggs. But if you choose to put your eggs in another person's basket, you will face two unforseen IFs - the first is, the person may drop the basket and the second is, the eggs will break because of something else that's connected to that person. Question is, can we ever trust someone enough to hang on to ALL our eggs and basket?

Bottom line : it's not whether people can be entrusted- most can. It's about what we can accept and what we cannot - and whether we trust enough - which is honestly, not easy to do unless we are great with LEGO and don't mind building and rebuilding when things don't seem right.

No comments: