About Me

My photo
Read my blog and figure it out....:)

Search This Blog

November 09, 2007

Round vs Square

Since I've begun preparations for my PostGrad reading, life has been full of surprises. For starters, I realised that I didn't have a 'study table' to use. What used to be my table, is now my sons table - and as with most teenagers, it's never cleared. Putting that aside, I cannot work on someone elses table either - it may be a stupid rule, but my workspace is quite personal to me. And so, yesterday, being a public holiday, saw me taking out a garbage bag, trying to clear out rubbish, just to find me some place.
My colleague just asked me about using my dining table.
That brought up an interesting point - because I gave my dining table away and am now using a kopitiam marble top round table for dining. Besides being a cute size, it's round, and I cannot work on a round table top.
Perhaps it's got to do with the surface area that's limited i.e. not enough space to spread out the books. That's one logical reason.
BUT I have another strange reason which has to do with a round top not having straight lines as sides, but a circumference which has no end/beginning. It doesn't make sense, but it's me we're talking about, and I'm what most would term "strange". How do I study, on a table top that doesn't have an edge? It may affect me psychologically and have me going in circles!
This may have some measure of truth in it, because when we search for a work table, how often do we come across one with a round top? Honestly, is there one?
I may not be so strange after all, because from today, I will begin to take note of furniture shops and the range of study tables they carry - I'm confident I won't find any which is round.
I rest my case.

2 comments:

UptownGal said...

i agree with u. i dun think i cld work on a round table. eat yes. round tables are perfect for sharing food. but work? it's weird.

KATRINE said...

but have you ever wondered why? I'm just stumped.