About Me

My photo
Read my blog and figure it out....:)

Search This Blog

November 23, 2007

Unexpected christmas gift

It's definately christmas season - and a time for surprises. Although very few things surprise me in life, this little envelope did.
The receptionist left mail on my desk yesterday afternoon - usually it's invoices etc for us to clear. BUT this white envelope had my name, company address written in, not typed, which made it look different from the regular stuff. Obviously, that was the mail I picked up first to open.
It was a christmas card from one of my associates.
Unexpected, because they see me often enough.
Unexpected, because this associate will always choose to be the annoying one in the group.
Unexpected, because this meant he actually took the trouble to buy a card, buy a stamp and drop it for the postman.
Unexpected, because it wasn't the usual christmas card that said Merry Christmas.
It said "Christmas used to come only once a year......till I met you"
He even penned in "and wednesdays too - since wednesdays are our sales meeting days.
THAT was a surprise.
Because I'm not the easiest person to work with.
Nor am I the easiest person to be with.

I'm glad the christmas spirit has not been lost in some of us - it's comforting to know that as much as I hold the spirit of christmas very dear, and so silently in my soul, there are others out there who are like me.

Christmas is not about spending our bonuses.
Gifts cannot be measured in monetary terms.

It's little things like this card, that would matter the most to me - that tugged my heart so much, I was actually stunned.

People who observe christmas because the shops are decorated so well, should stop and think about why christmas came to be - because until we understand that, we will be buying gifts just because we think it's about exchanging presents.

No comments: