About Me

My photo
Read my blog and figure it out....:)

Search This Blog

November 12, 2007

when is overreacting, Over-reacting?

People have this notion that Women Over-react. I don't think that is the correct explanation.
I think there are some of us who are just interested in setting the record straight - nothing wrong with trying to be precise.
When we try to expand a statement/action it's for clarity, it's not for argument. BUT when the other party refuses to see beyond that, then it's misunderstandings galore.
As a woman, I take the trouble to never give anyone a wrong idea/impression about any subject; to do that, I need to be extremely explicit when making a statement. However, often, if the other party is male (like my boss), he would say that's me being super-reactive, followed by the phrase "AH YOU WOMEN"
My boss is so fixated on AH WE WOMEN, that he always misses the point.
If we had an exclusive right to sell a development and the owner puts up a sign to sell an unsold unit himself (breaching the contract he has with us) - how would one react?
Professionally, I didn't give out a clue about how annoyed I was - but privately, I was scheming to fix this. That one sign upset 6 associates, who squat there rain or shine.
Are they over-reacting when they tell me that they are refusing to work there anymore?
I don't think so.
They have as much a right to be there as the contract permits. As an owner, he can do whatever he wants, but it has to be within contractual boundaries, since there is a contract in existence.
To think that these people didn't even mention this 'new strategy' in a courtesy phone call is appalling.
I had half a mind to just explode, but then, it wouldn't solve the problem.
Therefore, I shall devise an appropriate reaction - which would involve verbal exchanges with my boss (for starters).
At the end of this verbal exchange, he will think that I have overreacted again.
Perhaps in his male domain, silence is the action plan, for whatever the situation - even if a judge is going to send you to the gallows and you're innocent, keep silent.
after all, silence is golden and perhaps there is this need to feel rich.

2 comments:

UptownGal said...

this is not called over-reacting. this is called being FAIR. but your boss doesn't exactly comprehend the word "fair" nor "integrity".

KATRINE said...

yup yup and when i bring it to his attention he replies "AH YOU WOMEN!"