About Me

My photo
Read my blog and figure it out....:)

Search This Blog

May 26, 2008

Intelligence Test - Why?

It never bothered me not ever having my Intelligence tested. I'm an average person, having to do twice the work to get a decent grade. There was nothing special about me, in terms of my abilities - my piano playing is so-so ; my theory knowledge is so-so; my track and field skill is so-so; my grades till college was so-so.
I hear of people having this IQ and that IQ, without really understanding what that entailed. I know how to equate scores, because I'm a Psych major.
I have done free online 'personality tests', which are similar to real personality tests, but we can never really be sure how far off they really are - because for any scores to be valid, there must be reliability and validity that has been proven.
Today, I had a first-hand experience doing an IQ test. It was a disappointment, because I felt that whatever it measured, it still didn't tell me how those scores would improve my situation. The test took a really long time to administer and after all that, I found it to be a waste of time. So what if you know your IQ - is it going to change your life tomorrow? I doubt that very much, because it takes a whole lot more to make your life better - not a score sheet.
To think that people pay hundreds of dollars to get themselves tested! WHY?

If you're reading this, you might be thinking, that perhaps I'm trying to validate my score - but I'm not - I just wasted an entire day - doing the test, scoring it and tidying it up with a clinical report for nothing - I do detest having worked an entire day for something that couldn't help me a bit. I think it's labelling people and may not justify the person as a whole.

I returned a score of above average (+2/3 SD & 75th percentile) - how that's going to help me live the rest of my life error-free, is not something even a person with a higher IQ could answer!
Which brings me to the Personality assessment that I did.....perhaps they are linked.....that will be tomorrow's post.

No comments: