About Me

My photo
Read my blog and figure it out....:)

Search This Blog

May 21, 2008

what getting a CREDIT means

I received a CREDIT for my first written assignment after taking a 7-year break from school. Bad call.
Because I didn't grow up like regular people, I was late in doing my Bachelors - had to finish the school of hard knocks, before working on my academic qualifications, after all, I always did things in the reverse order. I remember Cross-Cultural Psych was the first module I had to do as a mature student, juggling work and home. I got a Credit for that paper - and I remember how I was ragged by my soul-pal - he was a doctor, no less, who did a minor in Psy. He went on and on about the shoddy work I probably handed in and that I deserved that awful grade. He didn't want to hear about how long it's been since I left school and that writing was a struggle. He just let it on - but that one session, made me more responsible, and I made it to the Honour roll after 3 years.
NOW, history is repeating itself again. I got another CREDIT for a start.
A very good friend told me to move on, and not to dwell. But I'm in Dwell Hell - because I handed in this work knowing very well it was deserving of only a CREDIT. My Professor left me a long love note - I was reluctant to read it, not wanting to know just how pre-school my paper probably came across to him - so I kept it in my bag, after flipping through the pages and making mental notes of his scribbles - having half the mind to email him to say that he should sharpen his pencil before insulting me, because at least I know he took the trouble to also be presentable!
BUT after a shower and coffee, I decided to grow up and face the scribbles.
To my surprise, he commended me on my supporting research materials and that I needed to hit the supporting argument RIGHT ON THE NAIL - what I didn't do was to wrap up the argument - I brought it up, but did a lousy job on the finish.
Although I'm still in DWELL HELL - it's probably hell on an elevated plane, because Prof did give me some insight into what I had forgotten & what I needed to oil so that the gears are working smoothly.
So, I'm not mad at him anymore, he's not on my hit list.
I deserved that Credit.
He did a good job setting it right and that's why he's the most talked about Professor in Psych school.

Bottom Line: This is graduate school and we should never submit sub-standard papers if we are expecting a good overall GPA.

5 comments:

UptownGal said...

Hey hey, i am finally alive after a very bad bout of food poisoning. But i was following your blog diligently! I think making the time and effort to go back to school after so many years deserves an applause. (I personally still cannot drag myself to do a 2nd degree, regardless of how interested i may be in the subject).

Anyway, glad u sorted out what was slacking. Good that the prof managed to pin-point the weakness in the submission down. Work on it!! I'm sure u'll do well next round! U have always been an excellent writer and i say that 'cos i've seen ur reports at work and i love the writing on ur blog!

PRESS ON!

UptownGal said...

Oops... what was LACKING! Not slacking! Hahahahaha.

KATRINE said...

It was SLACKING....hahahaha....thanks for your vote of confidence..it's encouraging for me, because it came from you...:)
let me know when the big day is...

UptownGal said...

HAha... even I don't know when the big day is. Waiting for his mom to pick some dates for us to choose. But this whole wedding thing is tough!

KATRINE said...

Hey, it's a big day and one that you'd want to remember rite?
I'm really happy for you, really...imagine, soon you'll be a mom too!