About Me

My photo
Read my blog and figure it out....:)

Search This Blog

March 25, 2009

About Driving

Most adults would attempt to obtain their driving licence before actually buying a car. Because I'm always out-of-sync, I own a car, but do not have a driving licence. My colleagues are rather excited that finally, I started having conversations about actually learning how to drive. They are telling me that automatic cars are easy to handle and driving will be a breeze. I somehow have my doubts.

For people who are gung-ho and are not able to come to terms with their limitations, that conversation would have been a booster to anyone's confidence level. But we are discussing me, the no frills, no icing type of person - the cut to the chase, get to the point and what now, kind of person. I threw a bucket of cold water on the conversation, because I don't care if an automatic car is easier to drive, I'm more concerned about how I'm supposed to look at the rear view mirrors and feel comfortable that I could actually estimate the distance of the car behind, before making a call to change lanes. The answer came very promptly - you'll get after driving for 2 days. You know, that's not an answer at all. I could well 'GET IT' in two years - point is, how does one 'GET IT' when that alone is my personal limitations, as I know myself to be.

In relays, I never run the 2nd, 3rd or anchor - I'm always the starter - simply because I have this thing about watching runners coming right at me - it doesn't amount to a phobia, but it's like being a sitting duck. I was looking at the side mirrors yesterday and discussing it with my colleague who was more focused on driving, so obviously it didn't help, he couldn't help me with the vision, since he had to keep his eyes peeled to the front. I know the view from the drivers seat is different - I have sat behind the wheel before - it's not better, but worse, since I couldn't see the end of the bonnet. Call me short, but how does one estimate the distance in front if you cannot see the end?

It's mental trauma, but it's either I find a way to get over it, or my car's going to be stuck in the car park until my son gets his driving licence.

No comments: