About Me

My photo
Read my blog and figure it out....:)

Search This Blog

March 30, 2009

At the Starting Block

Have you ever wondered why we are always at some 'race'? Is life all about races?

Semester started weeks ago, yet our tutorial schedule has just been fixed - Residential School is over and done with - translated, that means, we are back at the Starting Block. Before Residential School, we were kept busy skimping chapters, just so we won't be lost. Now that tutorials have just begun, skimping chapters won't do - the race is on - racing to the finish line.

Although we are fully aware that time is not on any students side, we still drag our feet. It's no wonder people who are not in graduate school, keep asking me for a valid reason, to put myself through this torture again and again. To say, it's my passion, is almost cliche, because if a person hated academic work, then one could never do this. Juggling work and graduate school, is no laughing matter and when grades have to be kept to a decent minimum, it's suicide. I don't mind hanging out at the starting block but I do hate the wait - the wait for the starter's gun - the wait to actually 'take off' from the line.

Whilst waiting, few things have been clouding my mind.
- when can I cross the finish line
- do I have to attend all the tutorials
- is this the final race?
- what if we all don't make it because we cannot get our research up to the mark

I am a slow starter - have always been - need to pacify myself times over before my thoughts get organised and psyched-up for any race. It's dwelling at the starting block that consumes me.

When we are stuck and really feel exhausted with all that's going on, dwell a little - it's not a bad thing. But do it quickly, because it's best to start running, when the starters gun goes off, and not start running to catch up.

So, at 'get set' or 'sedia' - just focus on getting past the finish line - the answers to the questions will automatically appear, right after we entangle ourselves with the tape.

No comments: