About Me

My photo
Read my blog and figure it out....:)

Search This Blog

March 02, 2009

Taking a break

This term 'taking a break' was never quite in my vocabulary until some 10-odd years ago. Prior, I was always too busy teaching and taking care of the household. I was stuck in the music school 7 days a week and we never heard of taking leave, since we only saw our students once a week and getting a relief wasn't always convenient for the school. Then came a turning point in my life, when I decided to just live and stop existing - start thinking about myself for a change because it was creating mess in my head. And so I did.
There are some people who enjoy travelling, thinking it 'opens up their minds' - how that happens, is beyond me. How open our minds are would depend upon how receptive we are at reading and accepting new bits of information, which may sound absurd to the culture we are accustomed to. Some others believe that when they travel, they become 'enlightened' - yes, I have been told just that. I suppose it would mean the same thing as 'opening up ones mind'.

When I travel, I get away to unwind - literally take a break. Although sometimes, my work travels with me, it's a change of scene and it does take away some stressors, in the environment here. I take a break to just enjoy my own company, do what I want, see what I want and basically, to not have to talk when I don't feel like talking.

I'm leaving for a short trip tomorrow morning, to my favourite haunt - bangkok.
It's not for MBK or whatever, just running there for some quiet time, catch up on school work and just be lazy, do whatever that I feel like when I feel like - no schedules - just time.

For a person who has been to Bangkok too many times for a break, I have never gone to the floating market or any sightseeing. Silly, but to me, there is no necessity, since a river ride isn't my cuppa....I would rather just walk the city streets, take in the noise, pollution and bask in Thai hospitality, very different from here.

I 'take a break' literally. Although there were times when my trip was more work than anything else, it was different, because I was still left with pockets of time to indulge in whatever fancies me - like walking the streets in a light drizzle - walk about with a latte in hand, something i never do here. Here, i sit when drinking coffee - so, it may be a tiny pleasure for me, but it's always the small things that matter....the smallest things that allow us to gain the greatest perspective.

That to me, is taking a break.

No comments: