About Me

My photo
Read my blog and figure it out....:)

Search This Blog

March 21, 2009

Academics by No Admission

The good thing about finally getting things going, is the fact that you know approximately just how far along more, you have to go, before crossing over the finish line. The bad thing about finally getting things going, is the fact that the word FINALLY, means, there is already some delay in getting off the starting block.

It's really exciting to get back onto the swing of things after 3 months break literally - the adrenalin gets pumping and the brain cells finally finds something intriguing to grapple with. But after academic intoxication for 7 hours - I'm not happy drunk, but in a drunken panic.

Thats the whole trouble with life - we can never be happy about anything, because there is always a BUT factor. I haven't seen my classmates for so long, and although we were glad to meet up again, there was this underlying emotion called "punctured elation" - it was so bad that no one had the time to catch up on our social life, except to say "why are we lagging this semester in terms of tutorials and text?"

I work great with tight deadlines, but this is really pushing it - we have deadlines oozing out of our pores and tutorials which haven't gotten off the starting block, textbooks which are just on the way here and residential school in progress.

And so, whilst lazily lapping up my quick fix dinner, I was thinking if this is the only thing in life that really means something to me - so much so that I would bend over backwards to get it done. We are all bending over backwards - my classmate switched from full-time to part-time work - I quit full-time work and another one totally found a new job which is less taxing. Are we all going to actually do great in this field, having made huge sacrifices in our own way?

I hope so, because we have been loaded with a full-time student schedule, when we are not full-time students - and it must count for something.

But even if it didn't, in this society, which doesn't see Psychology as the rest of the world, I feel that it would be a personal achievement - the graduating class is not doing it because we need to upgrade our skills - most have not chosen this path as a career yet - why not go do an MBA? it would be more useful here than our major field of study....
Perhaps we are just academics by no admission.

No comments: