About Me

My photo
Read my blog and figure it out....:)

Search This Blog

June 05, 2007

Erawan Shrine



This is the Erawan Shrine. The one that was damaged by 'vandals' sometime ago, and then repaired. It always has loads of flowers surrounding it - I remember the sweet fragrance - and I will remember it, until my next visit.

The first time I went there, some 10 months ago - I was lost....totally - not knowing what to expect - I imagined shrine = temples like over here - I know better now, that if it's a temple, it will be called a temple - if it's a shrine, then it will be called a shrine - why else the distinction if there is no difference, right?

Anyways, this is the reason I went to Bangkok - for me, a person, who can be so fickle in my level of commitment - COMMITMENT.

I went there last year, without knowing what to expect - I wanted to be part of this spiritual uplift - At first sight, I was immediately impressed by the devotion of all visitors, and they are not just the locals there....

This year, I went there with a purpose - to make this a commitment I keep -

AND I'm so glad I did, because it gave me an opportunity to tell a tourist about the shrine - they were lost but they still joined in the celebration of putting flowers and lighting incense - it's not about religion, as much as it is about respect. It was good to see it, it was good to be a part of it and it was good that I kept to my promise.

No comments: