About Me

My photo
Read my blog and figure it out....:)

Search This Blog

June 18, 2007

Sugi Cake

My girlfriend makes the best sugi cake that I have ever tasted. She made 2 for me last weekend and it's out of this world.
I remember waiting patiently all last week, careful not to bother her too much whilst dreaming of having a slice, with a good cup of coffee. The difference between her cake and that we buy is obvious - one is home-made, the other is for mass consumption. I used to buy sugi cakes from Katong - it was the best commercially made one, from Chin Mee Chin. Years ago, there was a Konas shop too.
Besides her cake being for home consumption, she uses the best marzipan, real almonds, good brandy and the icing is too smooth for words! Icing must never be too sweet - it should complement the cake.
Strange thing though, after waiting for a whole week, I was actually hesitant about cutting it up. She took the trouble to dress the cake up with a baby pink ribbon, and piped pink icing all around.
When I did, I can only say that this cake, surpassed my expectations. The moisture was just right and the sugi and almond bits, just right.
If durian is the King of the Fruits, Sugi cake is the queen of cakes.
I would have this over cheesecake anytime!

No comments: