About Me

My photo
Read my blog and figure it out....:)

Search This Blog

June 19, 2007

Up Up Up

People get all excited when the economy is doing well. On the down size, everything else, from the Goods & Services Tax to a can of evaporated milk is going to cost more. When things cost more, is it necessarily true that the economy is doing well?
Our petrol prices are already not cheap - neither are our car prices.
Then there is the tax on tobacco, and a ban of smoking in pubs from July 1st 2007.
Prices of cable TV is going up too, along with the prices of a cup of coffee.

How does one come to terms with all this?
The consumer will always be the one to be either inconvenienced or at the receiving end.
After the 30th of June, I will not be able to buy parking coupons by NETS anymore - because the retailer says it doesn't make sense that they pay extra for the transaction.
The smoking ban doesn't affect me, because I don't patronise pubs.
BUT my morning cup of coffee is already costing more.

Come July 1st, when the GST increases to 7%, all other things will cost a little more. One may not feel it so much, but the last time the GST moved up to 5%, a stick of calamari cost me 10-cents more....after that purchase, I never bought calamari from there again - I make my own.

I will receive $200 this July 1st as an offset/progress package, but you know, when you actually take into account, EVERYTHING - $200 is for pacification - because the economy can only seemingly do well, when things are expensive. That's why most of us go for a break elsewhere, and do groceries across the causeway.
In response, I shall just take my business elsewhere - after all, I will only receive $200 - not even enough to cover my mobile bill for one month.

No comments: