About Me

My photo
Read my blog and figure it out....:)

Search This Blog

June 11, 2007

Remembering Dates

Recently there were 2 published thoughts in the daily here on Anniversaries. One writer apparently keeps track, whilst the other just doesn't.
I cannot understand why "dates" are such a big deal - unless it's income generating or vacation time.
If you're in a relationship, one bouquet less doesn't mean the person cares one iota less for you. Love cannot be quantified - feelings cannot be bought. In a typical year, there will be Valentines, Christmas, Anniversary, Birthday.....I'd take 365-4 = 361 days of happiness over 4 presents I don't need or flowers I already buy for the coffee table.
This has got nothing to do with a jaded view of relationships - It's me having the desire to have a less complications in life. Of course it's sweet to have a guy you love wishing you this and that....but hey, let me throw a bucket of water on you here - isn't pure companionship more enriching? A relationship that's not tied to ribbons and bows or sweet nothings, but one that shares the reality of it all.
Some may say, I've arrived at my mid-life so I obviously don't care - but well, superficial I can live without, but take away my reality check and I'll be lost. I'm intoxicated with perfection - one I have set for myself - not because of broken relationships, but because the only way to happiness is through yourself. Someone could make you happy with a blue Tiffany box, but if you make a milestone out of it, you might miss out on more important landmarks that could have taken you further along life's growth. See the person for who they are and what they are worth - Packaging is everything, but imagine discarding the wrapper and finding out what a great job the marketing people did!

No comments: