About Me

My photo
Read my blog and figure it out....:)

Search This Blog

September 18, 2007

Living beyond 85

It never occured to me that I would be alive at age 85. Lately, I have been thinking about it, because our government here is about to implement some compulsory annuity for our old age. To me, hitting 60 is already old.
I'm just wondering if there are any statistics to show that for those born in the 60s, there is a huge percentage that lives beyond 85 years. The reason why I'm asking this is, I know of some people, born in the 50s, who have already perished, even before the age 60 marker. Perhaps, it's pollution, lifestyle, etc that has caused this 'premature' return to the happy hunting grounds.
Given a choice, I would not like to live till 85 even, simply because, what is the quality of life that I would have left to enjoy? My body probably wouldn't work even 1/3 as well - moving around would be slow and tiring - not something for someone like me to want to endure. Imagine, answering the call of nature would be like going to work! All this is great provided we do not accidently take a fall - because at that age, our bones are more brittle and breakage means, it's broken and the best was a wobbly fix.
I don't admire people who live that long - because there must be a lot of pain they remember - I'm sure not all of us have lives we desire to re-live, over and over again.
Just because a few manage to live this long - doesn't mean, the current working population will. We smoke, we drink, we keep late nights, unhealthy habits - the polluted air that we breathe already changes the chemical balance of the body.
I don't think many of us, will hit that marker - yet we probably have to subscribe to some insurance policy, which our living families cannot even claim.
It's almost like a donation to a new community chest.
Yet, I wouldn't be surprised that when those few hit 85 years, they may have to show some proof that they can claim on the annuity!

No comments: