About Me

My photo
Read my blog and figure it out....:)

Search This Blog

September 06, 2007

when help becomes a task

What happens when expectations supercede responsibilities? Well, for me at least, the best is to keep quiet.

One of my bosses was screaming today, because some paperwork was delayed in getting to the lawyers. Actually, this simple forwarding is not even part of our department's job scope. We are just doing it because we had been asked to assist.

But at what point did 'assist' become 'responsibility'?
Frankly, we all think brotherhood and 'help, all the way to the bank'....but for how long and since when did 'help' encompass a deadline? Times like this, I think it's better to just stick to what we can do and what we should not do, in this case, be like some kind of high paying administrative back-up.

I wouldn't have minded at all, if my boss said anything other than "but I thought you guys got it all covered""how to entrust you guys to do work like that".
Well, I think entrust is a harsh word, considering it's not even on contract that we were obliged to comply with this request.

Talk about over helping.
to make it worse, he made it seem like it was us who wanted to help, not them who seeked help.

Bottom line: Let's just do what is within our scope, forget the 'help' - because the 'help' will become a task.

No comments: