About Me

My photo
Read my blog and figure it out....:)

Search This Blog

June 26, 2008

Corporate bull

My ex-colleague called me yesterday telling me that there were people trying to reach me about some loose ends. Strange thing is, I don't have any missed calls from their office, neither did anyone sms me asking for a return call. On that account, they concluded that I left things in a mess.

Those same people are the ones who could stay on working there, in that environment, year after year after year. To me that's not loyalty - it's about not having any better options. Such people externalise so much that only they can do no wrong. When they don't understand something, it's never because they did not take interest when I was there (leaving me to do it all by myself), but because I never transferred the work to them before I left.

They then complain that they had to chase another corporate client for money so they couldn't do their own work. Imagine that, with 8 work hours in a day - making one extra phone call caused them to stop dead in their tracks in their own work. That is so lame and inefficient - no wonder all the better ones left before me - some barely surviving half as long as I.

That's what huge companies are about - they look good in their swanky offices but all the hired help are not quite as efficient as the decor in the reception area.

Thank god I'm gone from all this bull - I may not have a fixed income every month, but I have my freedom of speech and action - in my line of work, that's critical - some occupations are great when they are in huge packages like social services, insurance, retail, for example, but for real estate sales, it's a different ball game....one can be huge and successful only when you actually dirty your hands to do the job and not be a mail-box, passing emails & work around the spurs.

I'm really glad I've moved on - should have done it much earlier though - but again, anything that happens has a reason and a time.

No comments: