About Me

My photo
Read my blog and figure it out....:)

Search This Blog

November 22, 2009

quality of life

One of my gf, called to bitch about another gf who apparently moved to another location nearby (outside our little island) and validated her decision with a higher Quality of Life (QoL).
For people who do not care which soil the tree was on when the apple fell, an apple is an apple. And isn't milk from a cow, still milk if we do not care what the cow was grazing on?

Society is changing not because of better economy or new preferences, but because people read more and have obtained more information to assist them in how they wish to live. There are some who just eat organic food, because they feel it to be healthier all around. Vegetarians may or may not consume eggs, depending on how into non-meat they really are which again may depend upon their religious beliefs or just again, for health's sake.

So how do we measure QoL?
I think it's a personal thing - because there isn't a standard level - if we can afford to buy fresh milk for our consumption, it won't matter what the packaging is if QoL is about buying and drinking fresh milk.
A person with 10 handbags costing $20 each may feel that she is living it, yet another person with one bag costing $200 feels just the same. We can't say that the first person has a lower QoL or that the latter has a higher QoL.

I think if we can argue about QoL, then we are already doing fine and we should not use that to justify or validate anything.

For me, milk is milk - an orange is an orange. But whether the bag is leather or pvc would bother me. I am prepared to pay for a $30 lunch, but I would rather make lunch - no wastage and I could zest it up any way I please in the quantity that I can consume.

At the end of the day, it's not QoL that matters, but whether we are living our life the way that makes us want to wake up and do it all over again the next day.

No comments: