About Me

My photo
Read my blog and figure it out....:)

Search This Blog

November 18, 2009

square peg round hole

Did anyone ever wonder, where one learns how to connect the wires to a plug? Interestingly, we all assume that all electrical sockets are just 12 amps. But today, I came across 2 x 15 amp sockets.

What stumped me was when no one seem to have a clue of how to then connect the washer/dryer for use when we clearly had a square 'peg' and a round 'hole' situation. The first thing that came to my mind was to find a workable solution, by that it means something less expensive (calling an electrician was not inexpensive) and a solution that is almost instant like an adapter - but when in district 9, where does one find a hardware shop which won't charge you an arm and a leg for a simple adapter?

And so, I had to go to the nearest 'local' street store some 10 mins away by car. Believe it or not, solving this wasn't easy - no one sold a square to round adapter until the third shop who suggested that I just change the square plug to a round one - which is a great idea, except that, I have never attempted such a feat before. The shopkeeper was really kind, told me it's colour coded, like it would help an nonelectrical oriented me. And to make things worse, my colleague had no clue either and for an owner of a car, he certainly didn't drive around with a tool box containing a basic screwdriver.

We take many things for granted, like that every electrical appliance will come like the computer gadgets, plug and play. There is no moral of the story here - whether you are in a skirt or not, tenants assume you know how to change the plug.


No comments: