About Me

My photo
Read my blog and figure it out....:)

Search This Blog

October 25, 2009

vocab limited by faculty

Are some of us just great at vocabulary or is our familiarity limited by the faculty we are from?

I never applaud myself for having an extensive vocabulary, simply because I never was compelled to use unfamiliar words in my speech or written pieces like the email, just so people do not misunderstand. There is no necessity to do so, since in the business world, simplicity means clarity.
At the same time, I'm writing a research paper, which does call for some faculty jargon - not a lot, but it's a necessity - and because i'm not in practice and do not need to write into a case file, again, some words just evade me. A very good friend, loaned me his thesis for a read - so help me gather my academic thoughts and instead, I found that a word he used was not anywhere in my vocabulary bank - so I had to google it.
Then my gf who's a law Hons grad, started reading her stuff for her masters, which will begin in Feb and we were having an email conversation about our faculty graduate programmes and the route we usually have to undertake. She had to google a term I used.
And so we got started on this topic - she is a better student because she was from the top school here.
Perhaps we all should stop measuring our knowledge using vocabulary as a yardstick, since it's obviously dependent upon our field of study. She's a Law major, my good friend is a History major and me, a psych major.
It may be so, I hope it is, because I certainly do not need to think that my standard of english isn't cutting it.

No comments: