About Me

My photo
Read my blog and figure it out....:)

Search This Blog

May 08, 2007

Happy & Sad

It's strange how life can be sometimes. After more than 15 years, I found a lost friend, only to find out that another member of our group passed on just 40 days ago.
I don't know which was worse - not meeting this friend, or knowing the other was ill, without letting anyone know.
We all hung out together, travelling anywhere the cars would take us - drove over potholes, had near accidents, drove through plantations, ate durians in the middle of nowhere and basically lived our reckless life and spreading our luck thin. Looking back, I wondered what caused this loss in communication - it's too long, and I can't remember.
BUT along the years, I met with one of them, and we kept in touch, a few times a year - had a common denominator - same industry of work, and always trying to find this other one.
I guess we knew we had to go our own way at some point, yet we kept in touch the best we could - I am sad, knowing that I didn't even know one was ill.
So now, we sit, thinking aloud about the past, the fun we had, how far we've come - how old the kids have grown and other friends in the group spread out in the world. Yes, we are planning to meet everyone up again. It's time to meet, catch up, before someone else decides to check himself into a hospital and slip into a permanent coma.
The first to leave us, is the one with the most laughs. The one whose squash ball hit me during a game and the one who always kept in touch with everyone, with everyone not knowing...
I'm happy, because this is full circle - but I'm sad, because I never got to say goodbye. So, Goodbye Rahman - may you rest in peace - and chuckle your way to heaven.

No comments: